CSR at Loblaw
As Canada’s largest food retailer and a leading provider of drugstore, general merchandise and financial products and services, Loblaw Companies Limited makes significant contributions to our country’s social and economic well-being:
- Loblaw and its franchisees operate more than 1,000 corporate and franchised stores from coast to coast. In 2012, we opened 18 new stores and completed 181 major store renovations.
- More than 14 million customers shop with us every week.
- We are one of the largest purchasers of Canadian goods and services.
- Together, our corporate and franchised stores employ approximately 134,000 full-time and part-time colleagues and employees, making us one of the largest private-sector employers in the country.
- Together with our colleagues, customers, vendors, franchisees and their employees, donated more than $45 million to charities and non-profit organizations in 2012.
Our corporate mission is to be Canada's best food, health and home retailer by exceeding customer expectations through innovative products at great prices. Corporate social responsibility (CSR) supports our mission and is critical to our overall business success. The way we see it, by making positive contributions in our community and by minimizing negative impacts on our environment, we become the preferred choice of our customers and the preferred partner of our vendors. This in turn drives strong business performance, provides the means to give back to society and paves the way for future generations.
Five principles underpin our CSR strategy:
- Respect the Environment
- Source with Integrity
- Make a Positive Difference in Our Community
- Reflect Our Nation's Diversity
- Be a Great Place to Work