|Respect the Environment||Source with Integrity||Make a Positive Difference in Our Community||Reflect Our Nation's Diversity||Be a Great Place to Work|
- Achieve an average of 82% waste diversion from landfill at distribution centres.
- Achieve an average of 80% waste diversion from landfill at store support centres.
- Reduce waste from corporate stores in each region by an additional 5% relative to 2012 results (Ontario, 80%; Quebec, 63%; West, 57%; Atlantic, 70%).
- 20 additional corporate stores in Western Canada and Quebec to divert organics.
- Initiate pilot programs in one corporate store and one distribution centre with a goal to achieve 100% diversion from landfill.
Reduce Food Waste:
- Partner with Food Banks Canada to launch a retail food program in 100 corporate stores that will increase donations of surplus food and help reduce food waste.
- Implement sustainable packaging decision tree to reduce overall environmental footprint of control brand packaging.
- Implement paper sourcing commitment as it pertains to packaging.
- 50% reduction in non-recyclable packaging from control brand products by year-end 2013.
- 5% packaging reduction on control brand products by year-end 2015.
- Reduce total energy consumption by 3% per square foot in existing corporate stores.
- Complete solar panel projects in 40 corporate stores in Ontario.
- Install a transcritical refrigeration system that uses carbon dioxide as the sole refrigerant, in one corporate store.
- Complete lighting retrofits in 70 corporate stores.
Fuel Reduction and Fleet Efficiency:
Improve the fuel efficiency of our transport fleet:
- Replace 75% of our transport fleet with new trucks that comply with U.S. EPA emission standards by year-end 2015.
- 20% increase in rail use.
- 5% increase in backhaul trips.
- 5% reduction of driver idle time.
- Add 10 non-diesel-burning reefer trailers to our fleet.
- Add five natural gas trucks to our fleet.
- Introduce four 60-foot trailers to our fleet.
- Install 10 additional Lift-a-Deck systems in our trailers.
- Conduct a water footprint assessment of our operations.